Officially designated as 'Dienstmütze für Jägereinheiten' the SA-Wehrmannschaft (Storm Troopers Military Training Defense Group) cap for the Stryian region was issued to SA home guard troops in the Innsbruch area. The cap features aluminum basket-weave piping along the top of the crown, salmon pink front and upper side material with a matching salmon pink 'raute' on the let flap to which an edelweiss is applied. It has pebbled silver buttons (see volume 3, page 574 of Headgear of Hitler's Germany by Wilhelm P.B.R. Saris, for a nearly identical cap). There is a single size stamp on the interior cotton lining. Note the RZM marking impressed into the wool under the flap, which is found on early cap material. Although similar in appearance to the German Army Gebirgsjäger Einheitsmütze this type of SA mountain cap is manufactured differently than the army version and was used specifically by mountain SA groups such as 'Hochland,' 'Südmark' and the 'Steierischer Heimatbund' ('Styrian Homeland League'), which was an active unit of the SA Wehrmannschaft formed in Gau Steiermark in 1941 to protect German personnel and property in this region which bordered Yugoslavia.
This may be one of the rarest pieces of NSDAP-related headgear being offered anywhere today. The cap is in excellent condition, showing no moth tracks, rips, or tears, and it appears unworn, s.
The Wehrmannschaft of the Steirischen Heimatbund was formed immediately following the German victory in Yugoslavia in April, 1941 and elements were engaged against Partisan elements as early as 22 June of that year. Peak strength of this organization (1942-43) was 66,566 men, according to German sources, although a respected postwar Yugoslav historian says it reached 85,000 at the end of 1941.
The Wehrmannschaft is best characterized as being a “garrison militia,” although the men were well-clothed in standard SA uniforms and brown RAD uniforms with SA badges and rank designations, and mountain boots. The unit was well equipped with light arms and automatic weapons, and even had its own light artillery battery. Formed and controlled by the SA-Gruppe 'Südmark,' which had its Verwaltungsstelle and Verwaltungs-Standartenführer in Marburg, and was tactically subordinated to the German military command in Graz, Austria.
Choose a currency below to display product prices in the selected currency.