WW2 German LANDZOLL / GRENZSCHUTZ Schützenschnur Marksmanship Lanyard, 1936-? Made the same as those used by the Army with the exception of the green stitching interwoven through the plaque and cord. Very rare!
From 1938 the Grenzscutz, which was part of the Landzoll (Customs Service) began wearing a Field Gray Army pattern uniform and equipment. Initially marksmanship qualification was denoted by green and silver strips of braid on the left lower cuff, as was worn in the Reichswehr until 1936 when the new lanyards were adopted. It is unclear when the Grenzschutz began using a similar form of Schützenschnur. From 1938-39 the Grenzschutz was reinforced with large numbers of personnel from the SA, SS, Police and Army to combat infiltration, sabotage, illegal immigration and tax evasion.
According to army regulations the Schützenschnur was introduced at first on 29th June 1936 by the Oberkommando der Heeres for the Heer and was made in four grades (Stufe 1-4). It was meant for Infantrymen in Infantry, Mountain troops, Motorized Infantry, Parachutists etc. and for Artillerymen.
On 17th October 1938 a second version was introduced, containing 12 grades. This time it was for Infantrymen, Artillerymen and Armored troopers.
The cord was meant to recognize the ability to shoot with rifle, light machine-gun, heavy machine-gun, anti-tank weapon, 2 cm anti aircraft weapon, but also in recognition for firing infantry-, artillery-, and tank-guns. The cord was made of winded aluminum wire with a plaque at the top. The plaque differed according to the units intended. The cord was meant for privates and non-commissioned officers and to be worn on all uniforms with exception of the battle dress.
Officers could not apply for the cord and were not allowed to wear them.
Excellent condition showing only light wear.
Choose a currency below to display product prices in the selected currency.