Manufactured by Richard Sieper & Söhne
The Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe (German: Frontflugspange) was a World War II German military decoration awarded to aircrew and certain other Luftwaffe personnel in recognition of the number of operational flights flown. It was awarded in Bronze, Silver, and Gold with an upgrade to include diamonds possible. Pennants suspended from the clasp indicated the number of missions obtained in a given type of aircraft. Front Flying Clasps were issued for missions completed in the following Luftwaffe aircraft:
Long Range Night Fighters
Air to Ground Support Fighters
Transport and Glider
30 January 1941 for the Front Flying Clasp
26 June 1942 for the Pennant to the Gold Front Flying Clasp
29 April 1944 for the Pennant with number of mission
Designed by Professor von Weech and by the order of Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, the 'Operational Flying Clasp' was officially instituted on the 30th January 1941.
Initially the clasp was restricted to three distinctive design patterns;
Clasp for Reconnaissance, Air/Sea Rescue and Meteorological Squadrons (Aufklärer, Seenotflieger-Verbände und Wetter-Erkundungs Staffeln) having a central motif of an eagle’s head facing left.
Clasp for Heavy, Medium and Dive-Bomber Squadrons (Kampf-und Sturzkampfflieger Staffeln) having a central motif of a winged bomb pointing downwards.
Clasp for Day Fighter Squadrons (Tagjäger Staffeln) having a central motif of a winged arrow pointing upwards.
Each clasp came in three grades; Bronze (20 Operational Flights), Silver (60 Operational Flights) and Gold (110 Operational Flights).
Excellent condition with a nice patina.
A more detailed history of these clasps may be found at the Wehrmacht Awards site.
Choose a currency below to display product prices in the selected currency.